BENIN CITY – The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has congratulated Benin-born legendary musician and former Commissioner for Arts and Culture, Sir Victor Uwaifo, as he marks his 80th birthday.

Obaseki in a statement noted: “I congratulate our own music maestro, Sir Victor Uwaifo, on this auspicious occasion of his 80th birthday celebration.

“A multi-talented artist, he remains one of Africa’s biggest music exports. Sir Victor Uwaifo is a special gift to all of us in Edo State and beyond. He has been a source of inspiration and strength to our youths, who are in constant search for light-bearing role models.”

“Through his great works in music, academia, and the Arts, Sir Uwaifo has continued to carve a niche for himself, contributing significantly to nation-building. I wish him more years in good health.”

Facebook Comments
Read more Comments Off on Obaseki celebrates music maestro, Victor Uwaifo at 80

BENIN CITY – Edo State has, in the last 72 hours, recorded 23 new cases and four more deaths from coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of deaths recorded in the second wave of the pandemic to 54.

The State COVID-19 Incident Manager, Dr. Andrew Obi, disclosed this on Monday during the daily virtual meeting of the State COVID-19 Taskforce, chaired by the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki.

Obi disclosed that the state also recorded 170 more recoveries, with 430 active cases who are being managed at various treatment and isolation centres within the state.

He noted, “Edo State, in the last 72 hours, recorded 23 new cases, four more deaths and 170 recoveries from COVID-19. The 23 new cases were confirmed positive from the 484 samples collected within a 72-hour period.”

Obi stated that the government through advocacy, sensitization and enforcement by the COVID-19 taskforce, is ensuring strict compliance with the state’s disease prevention protocols to contain the second wave of the pandemic.

The Incident Manager, who reassured the government’s commitment to containing the pandemic and protecting Edo people, charged residents to “complement the state government’s efforts at ensuring the health and safety of all citizens by complying with guidelines against the spread of the second wave of COVID-19.”

He further urged citizens with any COVID-19 symptoms to contact the Edo Emergency Operation Centre on this toll-free number: 08003625000 for assistance.

Facebook Comments
Read more Comments Off on COVID-19 2nd wave: Edo records 170 recoveries, 23 new cases, 4 deaths

LAGOS – The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, on Monday said that the Police Command had shut down Cubana Nightclub, Victoria Island and arrested 172 people for breaching the COVID-19 protocols.

Odumosu disclosed this to newsmen at the Police Command, Ikeja where the violators were confined.

The police commissioner said that people were arrested clubbing without respect to the social distancing rule and wearing of face mask COVID-19 protocol put in place to curb the spread of the virus.

“The ladies and gentlemen were arrested at the early hours of Saturday at Cubana Nightclub for breaching the social distancing rule and there is a viral video to that effect in circulation.

“They have been arrested for violating the law of the state and the law will take its course.

“They will be charged to court and whatever decision the court takes is what we will comply with,” Odumosu said.

He said that it was disheartening that youths who were meant to be leaders of tomorrow found it difficult to comply with the COVID-19 protocols put in place for their safety.

Odumosu said that clubbing had been totally banned, but other social engagement such as buying and selling could take place only with permission from the Lagos State Safety Commission.

“Clubs are permitted to open as long as they do not engage in clubbing because this activity has been totally banned, it encourages physical interaction among people against COVID-19 protocols.

“However, once the club gets the approval of the safety commission and ensures that social distancing and face mask wearing is adhered to, they will have no problem with the law,” he said.

Odumosu said that anytime there was a raid on clubs, the owners of the clubs were nowhere to be found leaving the fun seekers and the staff at the detriment of the law.

He, however, said that the owners would later show up once their clubs had been sealed off in an effort to reopen the club and bail their staff.

“That has been my experience with the owner of Victoria Club, Victoria Island and Club 38, Surulere who absconded during the raid.

“However, they later surfaced when we sealed off their club and arrested their staff.

“So, I believe that the owner of Cubana will surely surface because we have shut down his club and arrested some of his staff as well,” the police boss said.

Odumosu advised youths to be upright in their engagement and endeavour to always comply with the COVID-19 protocols as laid down by the state government.

Facebook Comments
Read more Comments Off on Odumosu shuts down Cubana Club, arrests 172 COVID-19 violators

…NDLEA Apprehends Suspect

LAGOS – Suspected cocaine worth N1billion have been intercepted by the operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Illela border town of Sokoto State.

The trafficker, identified as Nkem Timothy, alias Auwalu Audu who is 36 year-old also arrested and presently helping the NDLEA operatives to unravel the owners of the consignment.

Nkem was arrested with 62 wraps of substance suspected to be cocaine weighing 1.550kg, which has an estimated street value of about N1billion in Sokoto State.

Confirming the great interception in a statement by the agency’s Director, Media & Advocacy, Mr. Femi Babafemi, operatives of the NDLEA intercepted the suspect on a motorcycle around the baggage area at Illela border while trying to cross to Niger Republic.

NDLEA spokesman hinted that the final destination of the trafficker was to be Algeria where he resides, adding that the illicit drug was neatly concealed inside youghurt bottles.

Babafemi explained that, the suspect was found with an ECOWAS passport with different name written as Auwalu Audu but he gave his real name as Nkem Timothy”.

“The Commander of the operatives revealed that his men had commenced further investigation to unravel his sponsor and other members of the transborder drug cartel.

He said, “This is a ground breaking feat for us in the Command as seizure of this magnitude of type A drug (cocaine) has never been made in Sokoto Command before”.

Similarly, the Adamawa State Command of the Agency also said it has arrested one Umar Mohammed with 82 blocks of compressed cannabis sativa weighing 70kg at Lafiya Lamurde area of Adamawa State.

The agency’s Chairman/Chief Executive of the NDLEA, Brig. General Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) has thus commended the two Commands and charged them to remain vigilant and ensure no illicit drug goes in or out of their areas of responsibility.

Facebook Comments
Read more Comments Off on Cocaine Worth N1bn Intercepts In Sokoto

BENIN CITY – The Nigeria National League (NNL) is to visit police formations nationwide, to seek collaboration of the force in providing adequate security during league encounters.

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the NNL, Sajo Mohammed, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Sunday that the league management had zero tolerance for hooliganism at match venues.

He said it was in line with this that the NNL would adopt every possible measure to ensure the safety of players and officials during matches.

“We have zero tolerance for hooliganism at match venues and we have informed clubs to take security seriously as we will embark on a tour of all police formations for them to assist us with security in our stadiums,” he said.

The NNL CEO said also that the league management was working on having the identities of fans belonging to a particular club for easy identification of hooligans.

He noted that any hooligan identified at any match venue would be banned from accessing match venues.

“I am a security man and as a member of the Security Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation, I have seen a lot of security issues at match venues and one thing I want to do is to ensure the safety of everybody.

“I want the safety of the fans, safety of the officials and players. It is our priority.

“We will put in place a mechanism where hooligans will be identified and possibly banned from attending our matches.

“This is the area I have a lot of interest in and we will not sit and watch fans attack referees or rival teams and we are serious about this,” Mohammed said.

Facebook Comments
Read more Comments Off on NNL to partner police to improve security at match venues